At present, I am working in the field of molecular diagnostics and
evolution of Equine influenza
virus. I am also involved in molecular epidemiological studies of equine
influenza and zoonotic
camelpox and buffalopox virus infections. Further, I am developing the
clone repository and
sequence data bank of different genes of the vast species and strains of
bacteria and viruses
available in the Veterinary Type Culture Collection, Hisar.
1999 August to 2001 July: Master in Animal Biotechnology (Specialization:
Ovum Pick-Up Technology), National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal,
2001 September to 2005 October: Ph.D. in Veterinary Biotechnology, Division
Biotechnology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar, Bareilly,
U.P. India: Developed
bovine IL-2 & beta defensin DNA construct for genetic immunotherapy of
recombinant bovine IL-2 and beta defensin based treatment of bovine
2004 February to 2008 February: Worked as an Examiner of Patents & Designs
in the area of
Biotechnology at the Patent Office, Kolkata, India. I have experiences in
Patenting system in
India and examination procedure of Patent application in the area of
Biotechnology; formal and
technical examination of Patent Application (Indian & Foreign) as per
Indian Patent Law, which
includes novelty search, technical non-obviousness and utility of the
invention and related areas.
Training imparted: 12 days training has been imparted to the International
Royal Government of Bhutan as a committee member in regard to the
Publication and Piracy of
Industrial Designs at the Patent Office, Kolkata, from 11 June 2007 to 22
1. Development of protein expression clone repository of virulence
associated genes of
zoonotic buffalopox and equine influenza viruses
2. Isolation, molecular characterization and reposition of viruses of
3. Isolation, maintenance and characterization of bacterial pathogens and
their molecular identification
4. Development of diagnostics for equine influenza
5. Genetic and antigenic differentiation of equine influenza viruses
Selected Publications of the last five years:
1. Bera, B.C., Shanmugasundaram, K., Barua, S., Venkatesan, G., Virmani,
N., Riyesh, T.,Gulati, B.R., Bhanuprakash, V., Vaid, R.K., Kakker, N.K.,
Malik, P., bansal, M., Gadvi,S., Singh, R.V., Yadav, V., Sardarilal,
Nagarajan, G., Balamurugan, V., Hosamani, M.,Pathak, K.M. and Singh, R.K.
2011. Zoonotic cases of Camelpox infection in India. Vet.Microbiol.152
2. Virmani, N., Bera, B. C., Shanumugasundaram, K., Singh, B.K., Gulati,
B.R. and Singh, R.K. 2011. Genetic analysis of the matrix and
non-structural genes of equine influenza virus (H3N8) from epizootic of
2008-09 in India. Vet. Microbiol. 152 (1-2): 169-75.
3. Virmani, N., Bera, B.C., Singh B.K., Shanmugasundaram, K., Gulati, B.R.,
Barua, S., Vaid, R.K., Gupta, A.K. and Singh, R.K. 2010. Equine influenza
outbreak in India (2008 to 09): Virus isolation, sero-epidemiology and
phylogenetic analysis of HA gene. Vet. Microbiol, 143: 224-237.
4. Virmani, N., Bera, B.C., Gulati, B.R., Shanmugasundaram, K, Singh, B.K.,
Vaid, R.K., Kumar, S., Kumar, R., Malik, P., Khurana, S.K., Singh, J.,
Manuja, A., Dedar, R., Gupta, A.K., Yadav, S.C., Chugh, P.K., Narwal, P.S.,
Thankur, V.L.N., Kaul, R., Kanani, A., Rautmare, S.S. and Singh, R.K.
2010. Descriptive epidemiology of equine influenza in India (2008-2009):
temporal and spatial trends. Vet. Italiana. 46 (4):449-458.
5. Bhattacharya, D., Bera, A.K., Bera, B.C., Pan, D. and Das, S.K. 2008.
Molecular appraisal of Indian animal isolates of Echinococcus granulosus.
Indian J. Med. Res, 127: 383-387.
6. Bera, B.C., Chaudhury, P., Bhattacharya, D., Bera, A.K. and Das, S.K.
2007. Cloning, sequencing and expression of cDNA of bovine neutrophil -
defensin from water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). International Journal of
Immunogenetics, 34 (3): 173-179.
7. D. Bhattacharya, A. K. Bera, B. C. Bera, A. Maity, and S. K. Das. 2007.
Genotypic characterization of Indian cattle, buffalo and sheep isolates of
Echinococcus granulosus. Vety. Parasitol, 143 (3-4): 371-374.
8. Chaudhury, P. and Bera , B. C. 2005. Cloning and sequencing of Indian
water buffalo interleukin-18 cDNA. European Journal of Immunogenetics, 32